Saturday, March 10, 2012

(ARC) REVIEW: Cross My Heart by Sasha Gould




Title: Cross My Heart
Author: Sasha Gould
Publisher: Delacorte Books
Expected Publication: March 13 ,2012
Source: Publisher

Publisher Synopsis:

Venice, 1585.
When 16-year-old Laura della Scala learns that her older sister, Beatrice, has drowned, she is given no time to grieve. Instead, Laura's father removes her from the convent where he forcibly sent her years earlier and orders her to marry Beatrice's fiancé, a repulsive old merchant named Vincenzo. Panicked, Laura betrays a powerful man to earn her way into the Segreta, a shadowy society of women who deal in only one currency—secrets. The Segreta seems like the answer to Laura's prayers. The day after she joins their ranks, Vincenzo is publicly humiliated and conveniently exiled. Soon, however, Laura begins to suspect that her sister's death was not a tragic accident but a cold-blooded murder—one that might involve the Segreta and the women she has come to trust
My Rating:

My Review:
This is a Historical/Period Young Adult Novel. 
Sasha Gould's Cross My Heart starts off a little bit on the slow side for me. While it was hard to get into, I am definitely glad I finished it. The last half of the book is great! 

Laura is one of two daugther's and when she is ten years of age her father decides its better to land one of his daughters a great husband than to have both his daughters have mediocre husbands. Because of this he ships Laura, the younger of the two off to a convent. Years later, Laura's sister is found dead and her father decides she must take her sisters place as a bride to the man who will help her father finacially. Her father really is just a horrible man all around.

As the story really gets going, Laura is scrambling to find out the truth about her sisters death and is thrust into a world of mystery, secrets, propriety, and much more. 

Laura is such a well established character. While naive she is also strong and willfull. She is determined to find out the truth and live her own life.  Cross My Heart is a Young Adult Drama with romance, secret societies, suspense, and an ending with twists  that will keep you guessing!

1 comment:

Kimberly @ Turning the Pages said...

Great review, I must add this to my tbr pile :)
I love your blog by the way! +New Follower :D
-Kimberly @ Turning The Pages

Post a Comment